REZ LIFE

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Times, they are a changin'

One of our last sunsets at Tsaile signifies that we are riding off into the sunset and off the Rez. It will be strange to blog on cranesontherez when we are no longer on the rez. What now? We just moved to Mesa, Arizona, a suburb of Phoenix that is almost as big as the whole city of Albuquerque. Instead of driving 30 miles to the grocery, we have one less than a half mile away. Instead of having the only noise at night being rez dogs, we hear the rumble of the city. Our dogs are in shock and denial and we are in shock and denial, but we are excited about the new challenges and adventures that await us. I begin medical school this week at A.T. Still University.
http://www.atsu.edu
It is an osteopathic medical school, so if all goes well I will end up with a DO degree instead of a MD degree. They have equal standing in the United States. There are still a handful of countries in the world that don't see it that way. The only big difference is that in addition to the traditional medical classes I will also be learning osteopathic principles, which are similar to chiropractic principles. At least 50% of DO's go into primary care whereas less than 20% of MD's go into primary care anymore. This program has a heavy focus on rural underserved healthcare populations. It also has an innovative program where years two through four I will be taking classes in a clinical setting partnered with a community health center. I chose Flagstaff and got it, so next year we will be moving back to the Colorado Plateau where I will continue my education at Flag, one of our favorite towns. I was very fortunate to get accepted. There were over 2000 applications for 118 slots. This seems like a really good fit for me, my background, my interests, my philosophy, and my future goals. Is it the right choice to make these drastic changes in our lives during our 30's that will take a lot of time and money? I don't know. I wish I could say it was a clear calling or a divine plan, but it's not that easy or black and white. A part of me would be content to stay on the Rez forever to teach, coach, and play. But I am very restless by nature. I'm the guy on the river trips always looking for a more dangerous and exciting line through the rapids. I needed something new and challenging that I could use later in service. Our pastor that married us, the late Rick Bond, always encouraged me that God would use my restlessness. I hope he is right, the restlessness has led me here and I trust that God is still in the midst of it. It also goes back to an old dream I had coming out of high school and in my early college years. A dream I gave up on then, but then that path worked out to eight great years on the Rez. Will we go back to the Rez? A part of me would love to, but a part of me would also like to go and serve as a medical missionary in South America or Africa. A part of me wouldn't mind going back to rural Indiana. Alas, there's only one life with only so much time. I'd still like to climb some big mountains from Ranier to the Himalayas. I'd like to canoe a stretch on the Amazon or backpack the pilgrimage of St. James in Europe. I'd like to flyfish in Alaska or bike across the US. I hope one of my favorite authors, John Edredge is right about heaven. He says don't expect it to be just singing in the clouds for eternity, but envision a new earth for eternity where the adventures you weren't able to try in this life you will have forever to try then whether that is exploring the Amazon or tackling K2. Sounds good to me.
In the mean time, I go into this new adventure desiring new skills to someday serve the underserved. I've been too influenced by the likes of Greg Mortenson and Rich Mullins to think any differently. Yet I'm sure the rapids in my soul will not go away and 20 years from now I could very well be on to something else. Time will be the tell.


The fine people of Tsaile gave us a couple of going-away parties. The first one at the Clydes' camp in the Chuska Mountains was done up Rez style with meat over the open fire and Navajo tortillas.


Eddie, the Navajo Johnny Cash, played his guitar as we all sang "The Sweet Bye and Bye".




Judge Clyde held a final sweat for me and had many encouraging words.


Dr. Manning and Dr. Begay were very helpful to me over the past year with my shadowing at the Tsaile Clinic. This was at the Mckees' house for another going away party.


Tracy's dad, the Major, flew in to help us unload in Mesa. He also took us to the air force base to get good deals on groceries and supplies. His generosity is as big as he is.
This is our new home in Mesa. Tracy will be working at the IHS hospital called Phoenix Indian Medical Clinic. I will be commuting to school on my bike five miles one way, which isn't too bad except that the temperature is currently hitting about 110.

Oh yeah, Tracy is pregnant as well, so things are definitely changing.
We appreciate any positive thoughts or prayers you can send our way.

See you on down the road, river, or trail.

2 Comments:

  • I hope this newest phase in your lives is rewarding, prosperous and brings to you the enjoyment that only being a parent can provide. I can assure you things will be different, but better.

    Beech

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:19 PM  

  • Hello,
    You mentioned Rick Bond - would this be the Rick Bond that moved from San Diego to Kayenta? He was my youth pastor and we spoke once while he was in Kayenta, but I have since learned that he passed away. If it's the same - do you know how I could reach his wife Debbie and the family? I would like to get in touch. Please drop me a note if you can.

    By Blogger Joe, at 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home