REZ LIFE

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Super and not-so-super Thoughts

For the first time in my voting life I was excited to go vote. My first voting experience was in '96 for Dole vs. Clinton. I don't remember too much about it besides I was able to vote. In 2000, deep down I wanted to vote for Gore but the popular current around me persuaded me otherwise. Back then I could be persuaded with questions like, "But who would you rather have a beer with?" In 2004...it was like the pick your poison scene out of "The Princess Bride" movie only not as funny. Yesterday, Super Tuesday, I was finally excited to vote. We arrived at the Tsaile/Wheatfields Chapter House at 6:15. We were the first voters there. The workers looked at us like we were nuts and told us the polls didn't open until seven. We respectfully told them that all polling stations were open at 6:00 am across Super Tuesday America. One worker gave us a look like she'd been caught then told us to hang on for a couple minutes. When they were finally ready, we threw them a curve that broke right off the table by telling them we would have to vote provisionally because we just registered with the Democrat Party last week. The workers scurried around for about 15 minutes figuring out how to figure it out. When we did receive the ballots, the only hard part was finding Barack Obama's name amidst about 30 other names, most of which I'd never heard of. We placed our marked ballots into the box, received a "I voted" sticker, and then Tracy said for everyone to hear, "It's times like these that I am proud to be an American." I rolled my eyes but pretty much felt the same way. That evening we did some great cross-country skiing under the stars after we found our man had struck first with a win in Georgia. We were all smiles. Life was good. Then we came in from the -3 degrees weather with sore muscles and whining dogs to more wins by Obama but more confusion for us. I stayed up trying to decipher the results, and I slowly but surely found out that the Democrat Party is just as big a crock as the Republican Party. I watched as Obama rolled up more states but Hillary rolled up more delegates. I watched as Obama trounced her in Alabama only to be rewarded the same number of delegates as her. My education is all through the internet since we do not have TV, so I googled "What the hell is a superdelegate?" and found thousands had asked that same question. I watched online video clips on Fox and CNN of "experts" describing the allocation of delegates as a "complex formula". I realized that the Democratic Party has already anointed Hillary and they will scheme or fix it anyway they can with "complex formulas" to make sure her path is paved to the nomination. I guess it's politics as usual. At the end of the day neither Republicans nor Democrats want to change but rather keep the same old shady Washington ties going whether it is with the Bush family or Clinton family. That is why Obama is so refreshing to me. He doesn't just put the VCR tape in and push play to answer questions. He provides thoughtful and provocative answers. Take a look at this link as proof.
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2008/januaryweb-only/104-32.0.html

It is sad that the election process has come to this. It could be so simple and pure. Whoever gets the most votes wins. Our country's democratic process is a cold, hard shell of itself.
It's another good reminder that everybody and everything is going to let us down except the one who created us and sustains us through his grace. The politicians are gong to let you down, the system is going to fail, the country is going to destruct, friends will forsake you, family will let you down and break your heart, and you will betray yourself, but He remains faithful and true. Who can we trust but the King of Kings? No one. So instead of getting excited to vote, maybe I should focus on getting excited to continually worship HIM!







3 Comments:

  • Congratulations to your state Senator. It looks like the straight talk express is running on full steam. Mac is back. I wish they would say Mic is back, but I guess the Scottish Mac rhymes better than the Irish Mic. I like the way the Democrats award they're delegates by a percentage of the vote instead of a winner take all by the Republicans, but I don't like the Democrats Superdelegates. Did you happen to check out the super bowl? Without a doubt one of the most exciting 4th quarters of a super bowl. I knew the Patriots were in trouble when they showed Belichek with that baggy red hoody. (instead of the all business gray he usually wears.) I kept thinking it said FUBU instead of Patriots, and he was going to sing the humpty hump for the half time show. Glad you guys are doing well. I will have to send a picture of Cooper, he is getting big, Julia thinks he is ornery. Take Care, Zac

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:30 PM  

  • Hi guys.

    You would have loved the process in Washington. Our primary doesn't count for anything...What you say? Yeah we had to go caucus. Which I just did today and it was the best democratic process I have ever experienced. People get broken down into your precincts (70 voters in ours) and then they tally up the votes and depending on how many votes each candidate gets they get to send so many delegates to the state level to caucus at the next stage. It was awesome. I really felt like I was a part of something and on top of that Seattle is crazy for Obama : )

    Lots of love there.

    Hope all is good with you.

    Zack

    By Blogger zack, at 4:06 PM  

  • Yeah, I guess my Mac/Mic senator isn't too bad. He is one tough SOB, that's for sure. I didn't see the super bowl, but I kept up with it online by watching graphics go back and forth across the screen, kinda like the old Tecmo Bowl. I saw some replays online, the one catch was crazy.

    I'm envious of Zack for getting to caucus. It seems like it would be a great time. I'm embarrassed Arizona went so heavily for Hillary. Obama is the ticket. I believe he can bring positive change. The superdelegates have to see the light that he is winning more states and winning with more substantial margins, right? We can only hope. I'm sure the Clintons aren't at the bottom of their bag of dirty tricks yet.

    One thing I have found through all of this election craziness is that I need a lawyer to explain to me anew what "conservative" and "liberal" mean.

    Talk to you guys later---jc

    By Blogger CHUSKA NATIVES, at 10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home